Friday, June 5, 2009

Photographs and Memories

Less than two years ago my wife and I packed up all our belongings and moved from West Virginia to New York City. We still have a few things to unpack and occasionally run across items we already unpacked but forgot where we put them, thus the photo at right. I was looking through some old photos that I had not seen in a long time and ran across this one, one of my favorites.

This photo was taken one early morning along a trail in the Dolly Sods Wilderness Area in West Virginia's Monongahela National Forest. It was shot only a few miles from this month’s header photo but on a different trip, probably in late July 2005.

I love the beams of morning light being filtered through the rising mist and falling among the straight spruce trees onto the needle and fern covered forest floor. As I look at this photo I can almost smell the crisp, moist, earthy scent and feel the cool, damp morning air on my face and legs. The photo also reminds me on one of my first solo backpacking trips with our dog Hermes.

I think it is time to organize my gear, fill my pack, grab my camera, put a leash on Hermes and hiking boots on my feet and head out for a few days on a trail.

No comments: