Monday, June 8, 2009

Khaki

What are the odds that on any given Sunday half of the people attending a worship service will be wearing khaki pants? This is exactly what happened at North Church Queens this past Sunday. The visual oddity was so noticeable that I actually counted the total number in worship and those (men and women) wearing khaki pants, did the math, and the ratio was 2:1, 50%, ½, half! Amazing! It was almost Twilight Zonish!

I know that Princeton Seminary grads, with our apparent preference for khaki pants and blue jacket, are sometimes accused of making khaki the unofficial uniform of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). But not even I, a Princeton grad, was wearing khaki pants last Sunday. I was wearing blue pants.

This statistical anomaly was unplanned. It just happened. And not a single person wearing khaki pants last Sunday was a Princeton Grad, not from the Seminary or the University. Go figure. The Gap and Dockers must have had a recent sale on khakis is all I can figure.

By the way, this is my 100th post to Summit to Shore. What better way to mark such an auspicious occasion than with a one word title like “Khaki”! To celebrate I think I will go put on a pair of khakis, put on a blue jacket, and slip a pair of Docksiders on my feet.

No comments: