Thursday, May 28, 2009

SPA

When I taught college level introduction to philosophy I taught my students to remember the historical order of the three great classical philosophers, Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle with the mnemonic acronym SPA. I would often suggest to the students that when their brain hurt or needed some tender loving care and pampering that they needed to visit a SPA, a Socrates, Plato or Aristotle teaching.

Earlier this evening I was reworking the layout of Summit to Shore and decided to add sidebar gadgets with quotes from Plato and Aristotle to the sidebar gadget with quotes from Socrates. I think Sophie would be both pleased and proud. In an age of sound bite and bumper sticker politics and theology some classical philosophy might offer us a much needed corrective.

No comments: