Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Moderator Responds: Part 4

The Reverend Bruce Reyes-Chow, Moderator of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) General Assembly, offered to answer up to five interview style questions of anyone who asked. I asked five. Here is the third question and response. I asked Bruce . . .

. . . what do you envision for yourself and the Presbyterian Church ten years from now?

Bruce responded …

“The Presbyterian Church? I would be surprised in the PC(USA) were NOT around in 10 years, though I am not tied to the institution being around for the
institution's sake. With that said, I believe there will always be a
Presbyterian presence regardless of what we call it. A denomination that lives
out the belief that we best discern the mind of Christ and will of God together
is what I hope will be drawing people in as one manifestation of the Body of
Christ in the world is what I hope we will continue to be in the world. I hope
we have made the changes in our polity, structure and culture to be adaptable
and we have begin to embrace a multitude of manifestations of the Presbyterian
Church through the country.”


“Me? Hmmm . . . . 50 too early to retire? I
hope to still be involved in a local congregation, visiting my kids in college
and playing the role I am supposed to play in the movement/s of the church."


I too think the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and the Reformed Tradition has good news to offer the world, but the world does not always want good news. Celtic Christianity also had good news but still more or less died out, being absorbed by Roman Christianity. Yet the contributions of Celtic Christianity live on and have only recently being rediscovered and found worthwhile, with something to say to our world. Perhaps someday, maybe long after its demise, the theological contributions of the Reformed Tradition and the Presbyterian Church will resurface to once again offer the world a vision worth embracing.

No comments: