Friday, March 19, 2010

More Sure Signs of Spring

Last friday I noted that welcome signs of spring were becoming evident here in New York City. The crocus I photographed and wrote about last week have bloomed (photo right) and the mercury topped out yesterday above 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Today promises to be a repeat of yesterday, with a mild breeze, clear blue skies, and lots and lots of sunshine.

Another sure sign of spring closer to home is the fact that today I opened the window in the room where I am working, allowing the fresh spring air (and street noise) to replace the stale winter air (and relative quiet) that has been in the house since late fall. I will undoubtedly close the window this evening after dark when the temperature drops, but for now the open window is a welcome environmental change.

A more personal sure sign of spring is that today I am wearing shorts. Regardless of the weather I try to wear shorts at least one day in March, and this is the first day I have worn them since fall. With the temperature pushing 70, it has been a joy to wear them today, along with a short sleeved shirt and a pair of Birkenstocks. The shorts will most likely reappear tomorrow.

I think summer is not far away?

No comments: